> I don't think it is very hard to do it, but maybe we failed to add the
> right prorities. The intent was to order things with priority, and
> fallback to alphabetical. We could add a convenience to increment
> priority by 1 for each action if that is desired.

Well, I tried setting the priority on Cut and Copy and suddenly they appeared
at the top of the Edit menu.

>> I'm happy to patch the behavior (and revert back to Avogadro v1 strategy of
>> each plugin providing an ordered list). Was there a reason for this design?
> It was a desire to go beyond some of the hardwired separators, so
> every 100 a separator would be interted, and the menu items from
> multiple plugins can be blended together/put in the same section, or
> separated sections.

OK, but I guess I'm not clear on why the extension can't provide the menu items
in a particular order - either through priorities or by providing an ordered
list?

> The menus need to be tidied, and maybe the menu ordering code needs
> some refinement, but I would like to keep the additional flexibility.

Agreed. I think the main issue is that I tried to do "tidying" and it didn’t'
seem possible to do what I wanted. At the moment, it seems like very few menu
items have priorities set.

-Geoff