I submitted a pull request to fix the uint issue

https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadrolibs/pull/108

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanw...@kitware.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Pavolik, Ethan Thomas <et...@pitt.edu>
> wrote:
> > I'm (bravely) trying to build Avogadro 2 using Visual Studio 2015 and I
> > wanted to post on some issues I've resolved so far as well as try to get
> > some help on the issues I'm currently facing.
> >
> Thanks for posting a summary of your progress.
> >
> > I've been working on a Windows 10 PC that I reset/wiped and completely
> > reinstalled VS2015 and the Windows SDK version 10.0.10586.0 to cross out
> any
> > errors being due to my install.
> >
> > Some things I've noticed and changed so far:
> >
> >
> > zlib- zlib seems to build fine, however there is a post-build instruction
> > that is defined somewhere in the cmake files that renames zlib.lib - >
> > zlib1.lib. I'm not sure if this is a problem building on other platforms,
> > but when I build in debug mode, VS produces zlibd.lib. Then when it
> attempts
> > to do the renaming step, it will say the build failed despite zlibd.lib
> > being correctly generated. Building as release seems to work fine.
> >
> I have never put the time in to get a working debug build on Windows,
> this is likely true with VS2010 that I was using too.
> >
> > libxml2- At the time of this message, libxml 2.9.1 is being used as a
> > dependency. After much frustration it turns out that they introduced a
> fix
> > for VS2015 in version 2.9.2 involving a macro definition of "snprintf".
> I've
> > since changed it to use version 2.9.4 on my machine. While that has
> allowed
> > me to compile fine, I'm currently facing unresolved external errors
> during
> > linking which I have yet to look into.
> >
> I actually had to push libxml2 back in order to get it to build with
> VS2010, I am all in favor of moving this forward. It is mainly there
> for Open Babel at this point, Avogadro 2 doesn't use it directly.
> >
> > boost- Attempting to build boost resulted in a single toolset error,
> which I
> > was able to fix by adding
> >
> > "elseif(MSVC14)
> >
> >     set(_toolset "msvc-14.0")"
> > to cmake/External_boost.cmake.
>
> For VS2015 and Avogadro 2/MoleQueue there should be no need for Boost
> as far as I know.
> >
> > HDF5- They recently changed where they were hosting their 1.8.12 source.
> If
> > you don't already have it in your downloads folder you will get a 404
> error
> > when trying to download the source. After changing the download location
> and
> > version to 1.8.17 I still was not able to compile, but luckily they
> offer a
> > binary compiled on VS2015 which seemed to work fine.
>
> If you have the new location I would love to fix that, if you want to
> make a pull request, or I can update it in the superbuild.
> >
> > Molequeue- Setting "CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH" was required for the required QT
> > files to be located.
>
> I have a couple of patches, where CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH will continue to
> work, but Qt5_DIR should work and be passed down. I had been using
> prefix path as it was the simplest solution.
> >
> > avogadrolibs- VS2015 wasn't able to recognize the type "uint" so I had to
> > add "typedef unsigned int uint" at the top of poscarformat.cpp in order
> for
> > this project to compile.
>
> That is a mistake, I must have missed it in review. It should be
> changed to unsigned int, I can patch that.
> >
> > These are the changes I've made so far in order to build most of the
> > solution. Hopefully my notes so far can help some people in a similar
> > situation, as well as bring up some issues that may affect others too
> (such
> > as the HDF5 download location).
>
> I will turn HDF5 off by default, the support was experimental and we
> don't want to make builds harder unless they are actually using the
> library.
> >
> > Right now my build is being stopped by unresolved externals in both the
> > libxml2 and avogadrolibs projects. I'm focusing on solving my issues with
> > avogadrolibs right now. The issue seems to be between AvogadroQuantumIo +
> > Json::Value (http://pastebin.com/nG4YYRXj)  and AvogadroMoleQueue +
> > Avogadro::QtGui::GenericHighlighter (http://pastebin.com/XDbDfAhA).
>
> They are news to me, I will see if I can take a look. Thanks for
> posting detailed notes, I can create a few patches for the simpler
> fixes, and will see if I can get VS2015 up and running on my machine.
>
> Marcus
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Avogadro-devel mailing list
> Avogadro-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/avogadro-devel
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Avogadro-devel mailing list
Avogadro-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/avogadro-devel

Reply via email to