Here you go. Google Translate first, then I fixed the text.

Project WiiChem

Create, view and interact with molecules

Summary

Our project is to integrate 3D capabilities of the Wii Remote device
(invented by Nintendo) in the free modelling software, Avogadro, in
order to develop a completely new and immersive way to create and
manipulate molecular models. This tool will be a very valuable
addition to students who have so much trouble understanding in 3D. It
is also a more "modern" and rewarding way to teach and look.

At college, high school and university, the use of chemical
visualisation software makes it easy to show the structures of
molecules being studied. It adds a visual complement to the use of
plastic molecular models that use the tactile intelligence of the
hand, often neglected, but which is found in our project.

Image: LEGO

This site describes the nature and purpose of the WiiChem project, a
project in the area of molecular modeling. Molecular modeling
encapsulates all of the theoretical methods and computational
techniques used to study and simulate the behavior of molecules. One
of its features is the almost exclusive use of the computer, or
“computer-aided chemistry”.

One of the first steps in molecular modeling is to construct the
chemical structure under study, that is to say, to position the atoms
relative to each other (provide coordinates for the atoms). The
keyboard/mouse combination is not the most suitable way to direct this
construction. Why? Because the mouse is a 2D device (it moves on a
flat plain) and therefore can not directly position an atom in terms
of depth (lifting the mouse upwards does not work!). Current software
circumvents the problem by requiring entry of a number to indicate the
depth or by combining several mouse movements to place the atom in
terms of depth.

Although the 3D-stereoscopic representation of virtual objects has
benefited from recent advances (3D films, nVidia’s 3D Vision
technology, ...), 3D manipulation by the direct action of the user is
still very limited because there is no 3D “generic” device
widely-available.

The free tool proposed here links the gestures of the user to the 3D
displacement of the object identified by its binding. In addition, the
simulation is dynamic and "felt": the molecules are created and
manipulated in real time with a "sensory feedback", facilitating and
thereby increasing the acquisition of knowledge.

Optionally, our application can be coupled to a 3D-stereoscopic
(relief image) for even greater immersion, and thus reinforce the
learning. The technology used are anaglyph glasses with red/cyan
filters. The use of active 3D glasses is planned for later.

In conclusion

The advantage of our approach lies in a next-generation 3D device that
is inexpensive, widely-available, and popular with young people. The
simplicity, attractiveness and low cost of our device (software +
Wiimote) allow it to be deployed just as widely in high schools as in
universities.