I'm moving this to the avogadro list - you might want to also check
https://discuss.avogadro.cc

IIRC you can animate VASP trajectories, but I don't think we have any support
for VASP XML. I don't use VASP, but I wasn't aware there even *was* an XML
format.
(I think it's either POSCAR or OUTCAR? Again, I don't use VASP.)

(Open Babel reads a variety of XML types, but it has to know the underlying
data..)

A couple ways to fix Avo2:
- You can hack the VASP reader to handle the XML format:
https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadrolibs/blob/master/avogadro/io/vaspformat.cpp

- You can write a Python script that reads the VASP XML => XYZ trajectory, e.g.
https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadrolibs/blob/master/avogadro/qtplugins/scriptfileformats/formatScripts/zyx.py

If it's possible to get the non-XML VASP file, you'll probably be good to go
already.

-Geoff