On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 23:57 +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> I don't mind, as long as it's really "live".  I know the Wiki from
> www.mikrocontroller.net is, but that's German only.

Which is great for German speakers, but overall it alienates more than
95% of people.

>   So far, the best
> international resource is still avrfreaks.net, but they don't have a
> Wiki.  Maybe we should convince them of introducing one?  But that
> could become hard, as I can imagine Atmel (as the company hosting the
> service) wouldn't want to be held responsible for the contents when
> anyone on earth could modify that contents.

Atmel are legally exposed, so one could understand their reluctance.

> So it's simply the other way 'round: as soon as www.avrwiki.com offers
> enough value/contents that people find it worth the while, it could
> deserve a link on the avr-libc pages.  I realize that's some kind of
> barrier or critical mass situation, but it certainly doesn't make much
> sense to place links to something that could eventually perhaps maybe
> become a reasonable resource of knowledge some day.

It's more of a 'chicken and egg' situation. It's not going to get
populated till it's publicised, and waiting till it gets populated
before publicising will ensure it will never get populated.

I could suggest writing on the AVR main page something like:

"AVR/GCC users/developers are strongly encouraged to share their
knowledge on the <a href="http://www.avrwiki.com/avr-gcc";>AVR wiki</a>".

It would only take a main page with category links to stub pages before
some people will actually start populating it.

For example, I've just had some success debugging my asm/C code on linux
with the graphical ddd debugger, which happens to work seamlessly with
gdb-avr and simulavr, and I would happily write a page on that.

Cheers
David