> Sean D'Epagnier wrote:
> > Did you only upgrade avr libc, or also gcc?  I noticed that newer gcc
> > (newer than 4.2.2) versions made my program 14k larger.
>
> The new gcc (4.3.2) using the old libc makes my loader 10 bytes larger
> (compared to gcc 4.1.2 using the old libc). So the big bloat still comes
> from the new libc. I haven't tried gcc 4.1.2 with the new library
> though, but I suppose the difference wouldn't be that big.

Yes, the 1.6 EEPROM functions are bloat in comparison to
1.4 Avr-libc.  They are pure C with indirect call of inline
eeprom_*_byte().  It was a quick way to obtain the correct
access for variety of chips.

You can apply the Avr-libc patch #6718. It makes the EEPROM
functions compact.  (It is not checked with Xmega.)

Regards,
Dmitry.