Weddington, Eric wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Boris Borisov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:35 PM
To: Weddington, Eric
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-lib compiling error

Hello All,
I try to update my avr-libc but compilation is fail with messages:
<snip>

avr-gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 (Gentoo 4.2.3 p1.0)
Are you using 'crosstool' to build your toolchain?
Excuse me, I meant 'crossdev'.

Yes with option -t avr. also I try manually in my home directory to build avr-libc. The result is same.

Crossdev is known to fail building a correct AVR toolchain. Please see the
directions in the avr-libc user manual online on how to build an AVR toolchain:
<http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/>

<snip>

Thanks,
Eric

I found temporary solutions to solve errors in crossdev compiling tool under Gentoo distribution. This is problem is exist if try to compile avr-libc with low version of binutils <= 2.15
Solution:
1. Uninstall the avr tollchain with command:
crossdev -C avr
2. Start installation using crossdev with command:
crossdev avr
This is installation  fail with message:
* Host Portage ARCH: x86 * Target Portage ARCH: * * Target System: avr
* Stage:                 3 (C compiler & libc)

* binutils:              binutils-[latest]
* gcc:                   gcc-[latest]
* libc:                  avr-libc-[latest]

* PORTDIR_OVERLAY:       /usr/local/portage
* PORT_LOGDIR:           /var/log/portage
* PKGDIR:                /usr/portage/packages/cross/avr
* PORTAGE_TMPDIR:        /var/tmp/cross/avr
_ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ * Forcing the latest versions of {binutils,gcc}-config/gnuconfig ... [ ok ]
* Log: /var/log/portage/cross-avr-binutils.log
* Emerging cross-binutils ... [ ok ]
* Log: /var/log/portage/cross-avr-avr-libc-headers.log
* Emerging cross-avr-libc-headers ...

* avr-libc failed :(
* If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
* /var/log/portage/cross-avr-info.log
* /var/log/portage/cross-avr-avr-libc-headers.log

This is result from trying to compile avr-libc without compiler avr-gcc - this is bug in script and I not find the solution because I.m is not expert in bash programming. But on this stage the binutils is installed (for me version 2.19) and ebuilds in /usr/locale/portage is created.

3. Installing gcc
add this row in /etc/portage/package.use
cross-avr/gcc -nls -fortran -gtk -openmp -mudflap
With command:
echo "cross-avr/gcc -nls -fortran -gtk -openmp -mudflap" > /etc/portage/package.use
Install GCC with command
emerge cross-avr/gcc
For me this is ebuild install version 4.3.2 of GCC.

4. Continue install procedure with crossdev tool with command:
crossdev avr
Script continue installing avr-libc
For me this is avr-libc-1.6.2
And that's all

I hope this hack help other users of avr-gcc under Gentoo to not lose like me time in additional try to compile or update avr toolchain.

Bobby 73!