Hey Rob
Sorry but there are really things i do not understand while loading external assets.
here is part of my script :

private function loadObjects():void
        {
            //var context:AssetLoaderContext = new AssetLoaderContext();
            var loader:Loader3D = new Loader3D();
loader.addEventListener(AssetEvent.ASSET_COMPLETE, onAssetComplete); loader.load(new URLRequest("assets/test/test.3ds"),new Max3DSParser());
            this.scene.addChild(loader);

        }
private function onAssetComplete(event:AssetEvent):void
        {
trace("on asset loaded "+event.asset.name+" type="+event.asset.assetType);
            switch (event.asset.assetType) {
                case AssetType.MESH :
                    trace("asset loaded mesh "+event.asset.name);
                    mesh = event.asset as Mesh;
                    mesh.castsShadows = true;
                    mesh.material = material;

                    break
                case AssetType.BITMAP :
var bmp:BitmapDataAsset = event.asset as BitmapDataAsset;
                    trace("material info"+bmp.name);
                    material = new BitmapMaterial();
                    material.bitmapData = bmp.bitmapData;
material.shadowMethod = new FilteredShadowMapMethod(this.light);
                    material.lights = [this.light];
                    material.gloss = 30;
                    material.specular = 1;
                    material.ambientColor = 0x303040;
                    material.ambient = 1;
                    break;
                default:

                    break;
            }

        }
the problem is the following one : on my traces, i see the texture Uvmapped about my objet is well loaded, but the mesh itself doesn't. have also tried to do the same with assetLibrary.load(..) with the same result. If i request to load the jpg , it works, if i request to load the 3ds, it load the jpg .... I really understand nothing at all ... Does anyone has a simple sample about how to load an external mesh ?

PS: just in case, the textures, material etc... has to have width/height to be an exposure of 2, and max 2048. This was not the case in away3D 3.6.