Hi,

> if you restart awesome and the rc.lua doesnt create any tags at all, what
> happens? When I was using shifty I used to lose a couple of windows across
> awesome restart. They just disappeared, but the app was still running.

If rc.lua doesn't create tags when awesome is restarted, by default,
there will be no tags. Shifty deals with this situation by attaching
its match() function to the 'manage' hook which is executed for each
client (window) that is opened. match() function should place the
client in a relevant tag which either exist (then the client is merely
moved to the tag) or not (in which case shifty will create the tag and
then move the client there).

> Would this patch cause something like this to happen more easily? Is this
> issue
> completely unrelated and I should report it instead of blaming myself for the
> lost windows?

Having said that, shifty is still fairly experimental and some
glitches may occur. With the current version I haven't had any windows
vanishing but if it does happen then there' a bug which should be
fixed. If you're experiencing such behavior you should post a report
with detailed information as to what gets lost in what circumstances,
with what configuration values (and hopefully a reproducible test
case). This way we can try to hunt the issue down.

thanks,
koniu