Hello there,

So we were talking yesterday about the Run prompt. In general, it's a
nice thing, nothing really to complain about. It does tab completion
and history, and that's cool.

But have you guys ever tried something like gnome-do or other run
prompts for Linux? They've come up with a whole lot of cool features.
Examples:
 - Remembering which programs you run most so to offer completion
faster and more accurately
 - Handling mime-types -- so just typing in a txt file might be hooked
to open a terminal with vim
 - Generic handlers -- typing some special command might trigger an
awesome action
 - Mail handlers -- Typing in a mail address could be tab-completed
against some file (often integrates with evolution/thunderbird, but I
guess most of us would use something else). Then pressing enter on a
mail address could open up a compose window in your favourite mail
program, be it Mutt, GMail, Sup, Pine, etc.
 - SSH handlers -- Some people have written separate prompts for this
fairly well -- type one of the hosts in your ssh file for completions
and it opens your term + ssh there

Partial credit to anrxc for ideas. He also said something like, "Would
be cool to make the run prompt one of the killer features of Awesome
that now people can't live without -- like Naughty.". I tend to agree,
we could do something spectacular here.

Something that comes to mind here also is that most of the features
I've mentioned above can actually be done with the current system by
making several different prompts that handle things differently and
then pressing that specific bind. This is okay, but it means you need
like 6 different binds rather than a smart system. I'm sure the code
that we have now is reusable to some degree though.

Anyway, so of course me being Garoth the lazy whimp, I don't really
plan to do an undertaking of this magnitude at the moment. I'm not
even suggesting someone should take it, but I think it's worth putting
ideas out there in case someone is indeed intrigued.

Cheers!

-Andrei "Garoth" Thorp