Gregor Best schrieb:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:35:02PM +0200, Torsten Andre wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> today I upgraded my Debian Squeeze system after a while and rebooted the
>> system. Afterwards when logging in into slim awesome won't start. So I
>> tried to start openbox and start awesome from the Debian Menu. If I do
>> so nothing happens. Openbox is closed, but neither the awesome titlebar
>> nor anything else shows up. I installed the awesome package from the
>> repository.
>>
>> Does anyone have a clue why awesome won't do anything? To be honest I
>> don't really know there to start looking.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>> [...]
>>

> Your best bet is looking at stderr, i.e. awesomes output on the starting
> terminal. As you use slim to log in, you might be successful with
> looking in ~/.xsession-errors, maybe it gets redirected there. If not,
> I'd start openbox, install Xephyr and run awesome in Xephyr for testing:
>
>     Xephyr :1 &
>     DISPLAY=:1.0 awesome
>
> That will shed some light on your problems.

Thanks for your help! I just didn't know where to look. You are right.
stderr is redirected to .xsession-errors where I found exactly the error
described by Eric. I just added theme to link to theme.lua. Afterwards
there was an error in the rc.lua. I removed it temporarily and used the
default rc.lua with which it works again.

Thanks folks!