Hello, I'm new on this list so I introduce myself here. I'm a brasilian
student and have been using awesome since 2009. I waited patiently until the
release of debian squeeze, so just now, after the upgrade from lenny, i could
start scripting to adapt awesome to my needs.

So, please allow me to begin troubling you (and hopefully contributing with
what I can!). ;)

***

I built a mailbar that shows me new mail from each of the mailboxes from each
mail account. Each mailbox with new mail generates one "button" that spawns a
terminal with mutt inside that specific mailbox.

I would like to add a signal to the spawned client, so I can refresh the
mailbar when leaving mutt, after having read emails.

The awesome api doc[1] says that awful.util.spawn's return value is
"awesome.spawn". When print awesome.spawn's type, I get a "function" type. But
when I set a variable with the result of the spawn function, i get 'nil' as
its type.

I would like to do something like this:

  client = awesome.util.spawn(terminal .. " -e \"mutt -y\"")
  client:add_signal("unmanage", function(c) unmanage_client(c) end)

On the mailing list archives, I found someone saying that the return value of
spawn() should be the PID of the spawned process[2]. On another mail[3],
someone attached a hack to keep track of spawned clients with tags, but it
also uses the return value of spawn().

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

drebs.

--