On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Paweł Rumian <gork...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is it possible to place application to a specific tag of specific
> screen when autostarting, but not making it permanent for all similar
> applications?

You can probably do this using a callbacks in rules:

> E.g. I want to open terminal at tag 4 of screen 2, but obviously
> auto-putting ALL further terminal windows there makes no sense.

We check if the terminal launched is the first one then put it on
screen 2 tag 4, otherwise do nothing.

    { rule = { class = "URxvt" },
      -- properties = {},
      callback = function(cl)
        local clients   = client.get()
        local property = {class = "URxvt"}

        -- return if a terminal is in the client list already
        for _, c in ipairs(clients) do
          if (awful.rule.match(c, property) then return end
        end

        -- if this gets executed, it must be the first terminal to be
        -- invoked, so we move it to a tag
        c:tags({tags[2][4]})
      end
    },

Sorry, I can't test it because I use one tag only.

--
Anurag Priyam