Hello Ali,

I use kbdd + setxkbmap for switching layouts with a shortcut. Add the following line to your autorun section of Awesome (or to .xinitrc):

setxkbmap -layout 'us,ru' -variant ',winkeys' -option grp:alt_shift_toggle -option compose:ralt

Change "ru" to the layout you want. This command will also set your Right Alt to act as a compose key (so you can type nice things like ©®™å by holding Right Alt and pressing "o" and "c" for example).

Regards,
Alexander