yes, that will indeed work perfectly... And it is one way to solve the
issue :)
However, since we have the option of grouping layouts in localectl, these
should behave as expected in awesome :)

I think this is a bug to be reported, but if it affects other
window/desktop managers as Max said, I do not really know where to file
it...

I will stick to switching via awesome hotkeys as Samuel suggested, for now!
Thanks for the help!