I just map Shift+Pause/break to "systemctl suspend" or "reboot" or
"poweroff":
awful.key({"Shift"}, "#127", function () awful.util.spawn("systemctl
suspend") end),

I haven't needed a dialog yet since it would be really hard to press both
Shift and Pause at the same time by accident, but that looks like a great
idea for when other people need to shutdown the computer.