Hi all,

I have a 40" 4K monitor which *almost* works as a multi-monitor
replacement, except that it's hard to switch between desktops without
affecting the whole screen.

What I'd really like is to split the monitor into four quarters, so
that it functions like four 1080p monitors, i.e. Mod4+F2 goes to the
top-right sub-screen, Mod4+F3 goes to the bottom-left, etc.

I don't want to use fake RandR stuff because I still want apps like
mplayer to go full screen on the whole monitor, I just want Awesome to
fit four desktops onto the one monitor and behave like there are four
monitors there, each with its own desktops.

Is this sort of thing possible?

Many thanks,
Adam.