Alexis: I think you're right; I just tested another keyboard with the same
setup, and its Mod4 key worked (strangely its function key did not
work...).

I doubt that the actual key has broken on my keyboard: it's mechanical, and
2 keys on opposite ends of the board breaking at once seems unlikely. So, I
think a recent update might have broken support for my keyboard.

I've been using this to provide support for the extra keys on the side of
my keyboard:
https://github.com/Wattos/logitech-g710-linux-driver

Up until now, this driver has worked well and I have never had any "broken"
keys like this before.  Nobody's made any commits to this for a few years,
so perhaps the driver is no longer compatible with newer linux kernels (I'm
using 4.6.3-1-ARCH).

I'll try the Mod4 key on another operating system later just to make sure
it isn't a physical problem.

Thanks,
Abe