>> I guess https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.oftc.net/awesome could do the
same job.
>> What additionnal value do gitter, matrix.org and riot.im offer besides
the "shared workspace for the web" hype ?
I get
kiwiirc.com took too long to respond.  ERR_TIMED_OUT

I guess working, is kind-of additionnal value.

>> Likely just another "the website is the application and the protocol"
>> system which makes you completely dependent on them for client and
>> server. Thanks I'll stick to email and IRC where they follow an open
>> protocol and I can choose my client.

Nope, matrix.org is open source project, which already have more than one
client for each platform (that were developed not by them, but by third
party).
And I don't even think about forcing someone to switch to riot from IRC.
I just need help in integration setup.