I'd like to understand the big picture here

Q1. What does this Desktop API do on Windows and Linux ?

Q2. If someone calls this API it is pretty clear what they want.
Why do we require that they be running Aqua when a lot of the requests were
       specifically about de-coupling it from Aqua?

It is not apparent to me why they must learn about an undocumented option to get what they want. And the implNote is misleading (or wrong even) since there is a way
      to do it without Aqua. It is just not advertised.

And it is *even weirder* to add that note if Mac is the only platform that supports this ...

-phil.