Thank you Anton for that information.

Thanks and regards,

Shashi

From: Anton Litvinov
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 5:51 PM
To: Shashidhara Veerabhadraiah <shashidhara.veerabhadra...@oracle.com>; Sergey
Bylokhov <sergey.bylok...@oracle.com>; awt-dev@openjdk.java.net;
swing-...@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: <AWT Dev> <Swing Dev> [10] Review request for 8166772: Touch
keyboard is not shown for text components on a screen touch

Hello Shashi,

Thank you for attention to my review request. Win32 API provides different API
sets dedicated to handling various types of user's touch input in different
degree of deepness. For example:
1.  Windows Touch Input (WM_TOUCH messages)
2.  Windows Touch Gestures (WM_GESTURE messages)
    Official information about 2 API sets ab:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd562100(v=vs.85).aspx
3.  Touch Hit Testing -
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh437255(v=vs.85).aspx

WM_POINTER may be yet another approach.

I chose to exploit API related to "WM_TOUCH" message, because this API, as I
understand, provides more opportunities to control the touch input then other 2
APIs specified above, and it allows to handle multiple touch points, what may
become necessary in future.

RESPONSE TO YOUR REMARK:
I cannot agree that "WM_TOUCH" is officially deprecated. In the official Win32
API specification there is no information that functions from this API are
deprecated or obsolete. For example:
1.  RegisterTouchWindow -
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317326(v=vs.85).aspx
2.  GetTouchInputInfo -
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd371582(v=vs.85).aspx
3.  TOUCHINPUT -
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317334(v=vs.85).aspx
4.  WM_TOUCH -
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317341(v=vs.85).aspx
    (There is some community comment, but community comments are written by
anybody, deprecation is not announced in community comments. For example, the
really deprecated function is "GetVersion" -
(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724439(v=vs.85).aspx)).

The web page, whose reference you provided is just a forum, is not Win32 API
specification or official announcement from Microsoft. So I would not rely on
this information.

Additionally approach based on "WM_TOUCH" showed itself in my test environment
reliably, WM_TOUCH are generated stably in MS Windows 10 OS, also I was able to
successfully port the fix to JDK 8 and verify that it works. Currently I am
working on addressing remarks from Sergey and do not plan to refuse from
currently developed real basement of the whole fix, which uses WM_TOUCH.

Thank you,
Anton