Manuel Bronstein died this week of a heart attack at age 42.
Manuel leaves behind Karola (his wife) and six children.

I just returned from a house-hunting trip in Pittsburgh
to hear this terrible news.

I worked with him at IBM Research and have maintained contact
with him since that time. In fact, he got me to volunteer for
another ACM/ISSAC CD project just last week.

Manuel was one of the fundamental people on the Axiom project.
He's given us permission to use his PhD thesis as documentation
for the integration routines. He has contributed quite a bit of
effort behind the scenes through personal communication with me.

Manuel was one of the key computational mathematicians of our time.
He had a major impact on the organization and implementation of the
Axiom library which will be a useful legacy for future generations.
He should have had 40 more years enrich us all.

More importantly, Manuel was a good person and a friend. We spent
much time together talking about and flying airplanes. I have a
set of pictures he sent me from his soaring trips in the Alps and
fond memories of our flying trips along the Hudson River in NY.

I'd like to figure out some way to mark his passing. At minimum
I believe we should include his obituary in the ISSAC proceedings.
If there are any other efforts or suggestions please contact me
so I can help.

In sadness,
Tim Daly