Direct: +1 919.282.3486
Gsk VoiceNet : 702-3486
FAX: +1 919-282-3564

----- Forwarded by Pawan V Udernani/Complementary/CORP/GSK on 27-Apr-2006 09:40 AM -----
"Dennis Sosnoski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

29-Mar-2006 16:31

Please respond to axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc
Subject
Re: [Axis2] Databinding structuring proposal

Chuck Williams wrote:

> "Ajith Ranabahu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/29/2006
> 07:37:48 AM:
>
>>I'm not familiar with the velocity or freemarker template languages
>>but In any case I guess we'll be introducing another dependancy! Also
>>if  we special case the templating language, it makes things harder
>>for the people who would need to tweak the code generator.
>>

> As someone who's tweaked the code generator to add support for choice
> particles, recursive data types, etc., I'd like to second Ajith's
> point.  Xsl is a broadly known syntax that works well for the
> generation of final Java code.  Having the code generator structured
> as it is now, creating a POJO representation of the schema,
> transforming that into a DOM, and then using xsl to transform the DOM
> into Java classes, is clean, easy to understand, and quite flexible.

I'm somewhat less thrilled by the use of XSLT for code generation, but
passing data in XML is certainly a plus. Overall I found the code
generation structure very flexible and easy to extend. I didn't find any
documentation of the actual XML formats, though, so I added debug
logging of the XML documents used for code generation in
MultiLanguageClientEmitter to simplify understanding the existing XSLTs.

 - Dennis