You will see multiple examples of DIME support in  Axis 1.x (most notably 1.4
is the latest Ive seen)
client example is located at .\samples\attachments\EchoAttachment.java
service examples is located at
.\samples\attachments\EchoAttachmentsService.java)
The original implementation for DIME Proposal is located here (note the last
entry is 02/01/2002)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/dimeindex.asp
The main feature of DIME is that each Unit is self-describing which loosely
defined means one can discern the content length from each Attachment unit

NB:Axis 2.x has support for (swA) MIME as well as MTOM attachments

For a comparison of the the 2 attachment types (MIME vs DIME) take a look at
these metrics:
http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:ocsJAAC2mKkJ:www.allhands.org.uk/2005/proceedings/papers/422.pdf+%22MIME+and+SWA%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) DIME specification
has not been supported lately by MS and
consequently is usually the last attachment specification to be supported (as
is the case with Axis2)

The good news is that there is nothing to prevent you from implementing this
functionality yourself
    1. Override org.apache.axis2.transport.TransportUtils class in Axis2 Kernel,
    2. a)Override MIMEOutputUtils
        b)Override ServiceXMLWriter in AXIOM
    3. Override all of the classes from attachments package  in AXIOM,
(specially any of the Classes that require attachments)

Anyone else?
Martin-