I'm having trouble with axis returning the above error message.
The reason appears to be that the SOAP message being generated contains a
superfluous namespace  declaration. From the SOAP message below (retrieved
via TcpMon), you can see that xmlns:ns1="" has been inserted:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
      <soapenv:Body>
         <ns1:Transmission
soapenv:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
xmlns:ns1="http://some.domain/url";>
            <ns1:TransmissionHeader xmlns:ns1="">
                  <ns1:Username>SOME_USERNAME</Username>
                  <ns1:Password>SOME_PASSWORD</Password>
            </ns1:TransmissionHeader>
         </ns1:Transmission>
      </soapenv:Body>
   </soapenv:Envelope>

The code that generates this message looks like this:

String endpoint = "http://127.0.0.1:8080";;
Service service = new Service();
call.setTargetEndpointAddress(new java.net.URL(endpoint));
call.setOperationName(new QName("http://some.domain/url";, "Transmission"));
call.addParameter("ns1:TransmissionHeader",org.apache.axis.Constants.XSD_STRING,
                                                javax.xml.rpc.ParameterMode.IN);
call.setReturnType(org.apache.axis.Constants.XSD_STRING);

Object ack = (Object) call.invoke(new Object[]
{"<ns1:username>SOME_USERNAME</ns1:username><ns1:password>SOME_PASSWORD</ns1:password>"
});

I'm pretty new to axis (1.4), but have a deadline looming to get this fixed.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance.