What I was thinking of was some sort of equivalent - not necesarily the DOM
tree sa I've laid it out here.

Ricky Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 10/29/2002 05:06:49 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:     (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
Subject:    Re: XML and web services

This has the issue as the previous one that the schema structure of the DOM
tree is undefined in the WSDL.

Rgds, Ricky

At 02:41 PM 10/29/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Doesn't this all seem complex compared to just supporting an XML datatype?
>
>For a number of the Weblogic services I've created I used things like:
>
>- <message name="fetchAdvisorListRequest">
>         <part name="arg0" type="dom:org.w3c.dom.Document" />
>   </message>
>- <message name="fetchAdvisorListResponse">
>         <part name="return" type="dom:org.w3c.dom.Document" />
>   </message>
>
>As you can see, the endpoint takes a single argument in and sends a single
>argument back - just XML docs.
>
>This makes it easy to send pretty complex data structures over the wire.
>For example, one app we created had an XML element called <Command> that
we
>used to implement a 'Command Pattern' for the web service. The <Command>
>value was passed to a factory class that returned a parser that knew what
>to expect in that particular XML document. We created upwards ot 20
>commands for the project - all with widely varying XML content - and we
had
>to implement only a single web service endpoint. Plus all the data was
>readable text when monitored using tcpmon.
>
>I know that another department connected to one of the services using some
>MS technologies - though I don't know the details - and was able to
process
>things with no problem.
>
>This seems to me to be a much simpler way to build web services than to
>create a bunch of different services and endpoints and have to have
>different datatypes (and potentially custom handlers).
>
>Kevin
>

>James Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 10/29/2002 01:26:41 PM
>
>Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>cc:     (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
>Subject:    Re: XML and web services
>

>Ricky Ho wrote:
>
> > Besides the performance overhead of converting the XML to a byte array
>and
> > back, another big minus is the WSDL in this case has lost all the
schema
> > definition.  In other words, the client and the server has to use
another
> > channel to communicate what does the detail of the request and response
> > look like.
>
>   That is why one parameter that the client sends is to tell the server
how
>return the data.
>
>   For my purposes this works well, since the output can vary so much.
For