I thought I'd share that I did finally get everything to work. I share this
so that someone in a similar position might be saved some time.  Turns out,
my config was right all along - the problem was that the classes with the
log statements were never being updated, so that effectively, there were no
logging calls, hence the empty axis.log file.  Once I updated the classes in
my web app, everything worked perfectly.
-Hugh

The moral of the story, sometimes the problem is totally not wh