I faced the same problem (can't throw app-specific exceptions) and solved it by
subclassing AxisFault for all of my exceptions.  It allows me to explicitly set text
for the actor, code, details, etc. fields of the SOAP fault fairly easily in the
constructors of the exceptions.

That being said, I am somewhat unhappy with this, because it prevents me from doing
what seems proper, which you (Peter) said in a previous post:

> keep my business logic interfaces (and the exceptions
> which belong to it) as independent from the underlying
> RPC technology as possible

A nicer solution might be some form of type-mapping serialization setup as is done
with bean mapping and serialization of other classes.  AFAIK this does not exist, and
if nobody responds to say it does, I second it as a nice feature request, and you
should enter it in.

After all, avoiding vendor lock-in is one of the reasons people choose open source to
begin with.

--
Dan Kamins