XML-ish characters (<, >, etc.) are *supposed* to get encoded when embedded as strings
in XML.  If the .NET server is expecting something else, then it is likely that it is
specifying a type other than xsd:string.

Post your WSDL so we can see how the service describes its expectations.  If it is not
xsd:string, it could be anyType, or maybe mixed content.  See below.  It could be that
Axis is misunderstanding the WSDL and treating something else as a String when it
shouldn't.  But let's see.

-

anyType is unspecified content type.

Schema looks like:
  <xsd:element name="anything"/>
 - or (equivalent) -
  <xsd:element name="anything" type="xsd:anyType"/>

See:
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#anyType

-

And "Mixed Content" which includes HTML-ish marked up text.

Schema looks like:
  <xsd:element name="letterBody">
   <xsd:complexType mixed="true">

See: