On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 16:01, Thorsten Wilms <t...@freenet.de> wrote:

> On 11/03/2011 02:01 PM, Matt Richardson wrote:
>
>> It strikes me that the idea behind hiding the menus has been that for
>> people with touch devices these menus are not useful and future
>> applications should avoid the use of menus where possible.
>>

> What makes you think that would be the idea?
>
> The panel menus in the top right suggests that menus as such are deemed
> OK. Add the Launcher hiding behavior and one must conclude that Unity as
> presented in 11.10 is not at all touch-friendly.
>

>  As an all round solution I suggest replacing the context menu with a
>> gnome pie menu which would contain the context menu items in the right
>> half, and the top menus as items in the left half.
>> For example:
>> Right clicking a blank space in Nautilus would bring up a pie in which
>> 'Create New Folder', 'Create New Document' etc through to 'Properties',
>> would make up the right half of the pie and 'File', 'Edit', 'View' etc
>> through to 'Help' would make up the left half of the pie.
>>

> Pie menus must be designed to get the right number of items in the right
> places. Application menus vary wildly in the number and selection of
> top-level items.
>
> Increasing the number of items exposed at once will increase the average
> time it takes to select a single item.
>

> Though in general, I would love to see proper marking menus in Free
> Software.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=dtH9GdFSQaw<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtH9GdFSQaw>
> http://www.billbuxton.com/**MMUserLearn.html<http://www.billbuxton.com/MMUserLearn.html>
> http://www.billbuxton.com/**MMExpert.html<http://www.billbuxton.com/MMExpert.html>
>
> Autodesk did some work on multi-touch marking menus:
> http://www.autodeskresearch.**com/publications/multitouchmm<http://www.autodeskresearch.com/publications/multitouchmm>

now that's top material right there!
i had some designs with something i called "finger pies", but they never
reached maturity, as i developed the concept on paper only and i didn't
have time to complete it. Needless to say, it is important to adapt the
computer's interface to natural human gestures and anatomy.

we have 5 fingers, so it's obvious that a pie menu with a max of 5 entries
would be a place to start.
also do i not see, why it has to be a full circle, the fingers of the hand
also don't shape a circle, which makes the designated model more
half-circle like, an arc. And now we're quite close to what the above links
about marking menus offer.. visually at least.

i'm excited about what else this thread will produce :D

thanks Matt, great inspiration!