Hermano

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:49:50 -0800Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: NETTO
SurnameFrom: gfsjo...@gmail.comto: azo...@googlegroups.comdavid,The Netto/Neto
surname undoubted got it's start as a nickname or alcunha. "Neto" means
grandson and would be appended to the "real" surname (example: Manuel Silva
Neto would be the grandson of Manuel Silva). The son of Manuel Silva may have
been known as Manuel Silva Filho (filho means son). Sometimes the Alcunha
sticks, becomes the surname and the "real" surname is dropped. All that being
said,  I would venture to say that if you traced your gggrandmother's line back
a few more generations you would find a case similar to what I have described.
Furthermore, these situations happen on all the islands so that it is probably
not likely that you could really confirm the island of origin of the Neto
surname.good luck,John vasconcelos