Public transportation is very good in the New Bedford, Dartmouth area.  What
island is your family from and what parish?
Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicole Rodriques <rodriqu...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:15:49
To: Azores Genealogy<azores@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Physical Research In/Around Dartmouth?

Hey all,

I'm finally coming up on my student teaching semester and should
graduate this coming Spring. I am currently considering taking the
Intensive Portuguese summer course at UMASS Darthmouth. I figure since
that lasts for 5 weeks or so, I'll probably have some time to go
around and do some physical searching for info. Both sets of my
Portuguese G-Grandparents came in through New Bedford and I believe
one set remained there, and the other moved around a bit into
Dartmouth and possibly Fall River (I'm not sure why that name comes to
mind at the moment.)

The only thing is, I have no idea how I'll get anywhere without a car.
I don't know how cities are situated up there, do they all just kind
of butt up together? I live in a county where we have a lot of
unincorporated areas between the cities (for example the school I'm
teaching in is 34 miles away from my home...but Hillsborough County
(Tampa Bay area) is pretty spread out. I have no idea what to expect
in MA.

Aside from that, what key places should I go to? What kind of info
should I look for? Seeing as I'm in Florida, I've only ever done
online research. Hands on stuff is completely new to me.

And I suppose if it turns out that I can't make it to the summer
program, I'll get around to hiring someone else to do the legwork for
me. I have a quickly aging great aunt who would love to know more
about her history.

Nicole Rodriques