I am having close to the same situation now at St. Mary's cemetery in
Oakland. I found my great grandfather there first. Since he was killed in an
explosion at the Dimond Canyon Quarry in Oakland in 1909. There were plenty
of newspaper articles about it so I was able to find that he was buried
there. He has a really large stone which I assume was paid for by the
company he worked for since my great grandparents were a young family at the
time and didn't have any money to speak of. It took me quite a while longer
to figure out that my gg grandfather was also buried there. He is actually
buried right across the road from his son. However, he does not have a
stone. The young woman in the office gave me the location and directions but
I couldn't find it and the records didn't say whether or not there was a
stone. I went back to the office and this very nice young woman pulled out
the original book and maps and looked up the names of all the people around
him so I was able to determine exactly where he is and that he has no stone.
In that process though, we also discovered that there were two children
buried there with him. Both children are named Manuel. One was 7 years old
the other 6 mo. The records don't say who they belong to. The 6mo old could
have belonged to my great grandparents but the 7 year old would have been
born before my they were married (possible but not likely) and my great
great grandmother would have been 48 when he was born and she already had a
son named Manuel (my great grandfather) who was alive when this child was
born. I did send for death certificates a few weeks ago but if that doesn't
pan out, I don't know how I would ever figure it out.

I also had a similar query at Calvary Catholic Cemetery in San Jose looking
for my gg grandmother (the mother of the son above who was killed in the
explosion). She was raising my grandmother's sister and remarried to Manuel
Miranda. My grandmother's sister married Manuel Miranda's son Frank Miranda
when she turned 18. My gg grandmother and my grand aunt were both named Rose
so they both became Rose Miranda. When I contacted the office there trying
to find the older Rose Miranda, they were very helpful trying to figure out
who was where. There was a headstone. A big one. However, not everyone
buried there was listed on the stone. There was only one Rose Miranda listed
on the stone. As I now know, both of them are there.

So, I agree with Robin. If you can get your hands or eyes on the records,
you'll be better off then you would if you rely on the headstone only. I've
had pretty good luck in having the people who work at the cemeteries and
churches help me by just being nice and asking nicely. If someone isn't very
helpful, you can try going back or calling back at a different time and try
again. Sometimes someone else there will help or the original person is in a
better mood.

Jacki
Pittsburg, California, USA
Researching: Medeiros, Fernandes, Pacheco, Machado, Perriera, Azevedo,
Furtado, Rapoza
Islands: Faial & Sao Miguel

  _____