Most Azorean girls had a double name with Maria being the first followed by a
Saint's name, or some other religious application of the name "Mary." Examples
are "Mary of the Angels," "Mary of the Conception," "Mary of the
Resurrection."  In many cases, "Maria" was not used, but the second name was
used. Example: "dos Anjos," or "Conceicao," or "Goreti."

It wouldn't be surprising that you wouldn't hear "Maria" within the family. You
typically heard the second name. "Luisa" or "Evangelina" were my aunts, but all
had the first name "Maria."

Maria Moore (alias Maria Goreti).

Linda Norton" <patli...@verizon.net>