Hi Celeste, I will check some of these avenues out as soon as I get home
from Mexico.

Thanks again,

Bernie

From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azo...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
celeste perry
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 8:40 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] voter registration & local directories

Hi Bernie,

   You have a lot of information that can lead you to answers for your
questions.

I have a couple of ideas that may be of help to you.  Since some of your
ancestors were naturalized, you may be able to find the original voter
registration forms that they filed when they registered to vote.

Here is how it worked for me in Alameda County.  I checked with the voter
registration office (I was trying to learn the name of the pristinct in
which they lived) and while I was there I was told that the original voter
forms (all nicely bound and in alphabetical (by last name) order, were at
Cal State Univ. in Hayward.  I found that the person for whom I was
searching was naturalized in San Francisco and born in Flores, Azores.  What
a find.

The other idea is I attended a workshop in Santa Cruz sponsored by the Santa
Cruz genealogy society.  The members of that organization were very helpful
and may be able to lead you to available sources to help you find your
ancestors that lived in Santa Cruz County.  Some states and counties did
census counts inbetween the 10 year federal census.  There is also the
possibility that your ancestor may have be recorded in a city directory.  If
they lived in an outlying area, they were sometimes listed in the closest
city.

One example of this is that I found people who lived in Decoto (not Union
city) in the Hayward City directory.  You can usually find copies of these
old directories in the library for the city you are searching.  Sometimes, a
larger nearby city has copies of some of the surrounding smaller cities.
One exception I found is the copies were all at the mortuary that had
advertised in the directory and they had been  stored in the back of a
closet.  I was lucky to find that the person to whom I spoke knew about them
and let me search all of them.

Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com

http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right