Ouch!!  I am the guilty party here(so sorry!!).  So to start a new thread do
I have to log into the group at Google?   

 

Eileen Leite 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Cheri Mello
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:35 PM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] How to mess up the archives/message board/forum

 

People are doing much, much better on starting a new email when starting a
new topic/message/idea/thread.  However, for people who read via the
archives/message board/forum this can get to be really confusing.  I'm also
still get emails about people hijacking their thread.  I know it's not done
on purpose.  So for everyone (90% of this list) who don't use the
archives/message board/forum, here is how it's getting messed up.

Look at the attached screen shot.  

Notice the title that says the topic/thread is about Lemas.  That lasts for
2 posts.  Then in red, I've circled that the topic was changed to Rhode
Island (I've blurred the names to protect the innocent!)  

Seven posts continue about Rhode Island (more or less).  Then it's changed
to Cape Verde for 11 posts.  Then back to Rhode Island for a post and then
back to Cape Verde.  I don't think the changes back were actual changes, I
think they were a response back to a previously titled post.  The threading
of the groups causes those changes.

So, if you are out on the Internet, researching your Lemas, and you come
across this post, what are learning about Lemas?  Or if you are a digest
person or are reading via the board, this main topic isn't what you think it
is.  There are also 5 hijacks on this thread (you can't see one of them on
page 2).  I know none of them are intentional.

I think what is happening (and I'm not in your house/work looking over your
shoulder) is someone went to start a new topic or meant to refine the topic,
so they hit reply to the email (because they were in email mode) and left
the address to [email protected] in tact and changed the subject of
the email and typed up the email.  Don't ask me how Google Groups knows that
the original email was titled Lema, I'm not a computer programmer.  But
somehow, it knows to follow the path back to the original.  Please, DON'T DO
THIS.  If you are reading about the Lemas in Seekonk and it reminds you of
your Costas in California, start a fresh email.

I'm not upset and I'm not picking on anyone.  I just want the group to
understand a little bit more about how our posts and messages wind up on the
other end.

Thanks for everyone's help! 
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to