From: "eric edgar" <[email protected]>

To: [email protected]





Celeste. 
 
Holt is still there on  Roberts Island on Highway 4 a few miles west of 
Stockton. It was the stop for the factory of Holt Manufacturing Company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Manufacturing_Company
 
This was a major asparagus farming area. There were large numbers of seasonal 
workers required, so labor brokers in Oakland and other areas advertised in the 
Portuguese community
for workers.
 
Eric Edgar

Thanks, Eric.  When I followed the railroad link, Holt was not listed.  
Stockton was listed and I thought maybe the Holt name had been replaced with 
Stockton.  I have written an email to the historical address for the railroad 
asking if this was the case.  So far, no response.
 
In the case of my maternal grandfather, I was told by the son of one of the men 
who came to the US in 1913 with him that they had gone to Pinole (in CA).  
 
I knew that my grandparents had met on Machado Ranch in San Gregorio and had 
the good sense to ask, "Why Pinole?"  I was told that there was a jobber there 
who knew where work was available and that many of the Portuguese immigrants 
had learned about where they could find work.  
 
It is interesting that the grapevine worked so well and there was no internet!!!
Celeste Perry [email protected]


      

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to