A researcher by the name of André Claeys has been contributing his research to
the Azores GenWeb site for the last several years. He just sent me some
information that will be of interest to anyone that claims Willem Vander
Haeghen as an ancestor.

Mr. Claeys sent this:  "Will you please publish this announcement about De
Kersemaker. It explains that there has never been a Willem Vander Haeghen on
the Açores. His real name was Willem de Kersemakere.
This might be quite a shock for the da Silveira, but after more the 500 years
we finally know the exact name of the commun ancester. This correction is
important."

He is currently traveling to and from Belgium, but plans (in April) to "share
new and definitive text about the Vlamingen op de Azoren sinds de 15de eeuw in
3 volumes, the last one being about Willem de Kersemakere instead of Willem
Vander Haeghen. It certainly will be a shock for the more than 10.000
descendants da Silveira, but they will have to accept the reality. The da
Silveira are not the descendants of a son of the duke of Bourgondia and
Margarida was not a descendant of the dukes of Savoie as James H.. Guill
pretended. He never consulted  the archives of the town of Bruges."

I am not vouching for the validity of his work so cannot say if it is accurate
or not. That is for you to judge so please don't shoot the messenger! He is
willing to share his work so I post it on the Azores GenWeb site in the hope it
will help someone.

To see the complete text of his correction and more about his research, go to:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/Flemish_history.html

Kathy Cardoza
Coordinator, Azores GenWeb
Visit the Azores GenWeb Project: