Grace,

Whoops, I meant to type WWI.  I didn't look at the passaportes in the WWII
period.  I was using the ones from the 1890s-1920s.  At the back of some of
the books, they wrote how many people total to each destination.  The books
during the WWI time period were much smaller and less people left.  After
the war, the books got bigger and more people started to immigrated again.

I know at one time there were quotas too in the United States.  Not sure
about the other countries.  I'm not that good at WWI or WWII history. But I
bet there's a list member who is.

Cheri

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:54 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

>  Cheri,
> Correct me, I believe I read somewhere that when WWII began, the United
> States limited the number of persons it accepted into this country.  This
> was because of the masses that were trying to leave Europe.
>
> best, grace falcone
>
>  In a message dated 3/20/2011 11:53:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> Linda L,
>
> The people who are more versed on history can answer.
>
> When I looked at the passaportes (emigration out of the Azores), there were
> a lot from the 1880s-1900 going to Hawaii.  I saw a lot to America, and some
> to Canada and Brazil.  When World War 2 hit, there were much, much less
> people leaving.
>
> If I had to guess, by 1920, the economy was better after WWI and people
> started emigrating again.  But the historians in this group will chime in
> and let you know.  I like history, but was not a history major or read
> extensively on it.   Those who have read a lot or were history majors will
> post, I'm sure.
>
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
> Achada
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions
> when they arrive.
> For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
>
>  --
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions
> when they arrive.
> For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
>



-- 
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to