Linda,

One must be careful about surnames in Azores.
They come from the parents, from the father or the mother; come from
paternal or maternal grand-fathers or grand-mothers, or even from
great grandparents. And, also important, sometimes, not so often, they
are simply adopted, with no connections to the original surmanes of
the family.

In this case concerning Jorge Velho married to Africa Anes, the
surname Velho was adopted.
Frutuoso says that Jorge Velho was nephew of the King of Fez, and he
was baptized at the presence of the Prince (Infante) D. Henrique, took
the christian forename Jorge and has honored Gonçalo Velho (Cabral)
with the surname Velho.

Catarina Nunes Velho married to Jorge Furtado was from the true
Velho's, connected to the family of Gonçalo Velho (Cabral) who was
sent to Azores in 1444 by Prince D. Henrique in order to colonize the
islands of Santa Maria and São Miguel.
Gonçalo Velho (Cabral) brought his nephews Pedro and Nuno, sons of his
sister Violante Velho Cabral who was married to Diogo Gonçalves de
Travassos.

You and I do descend from Pedro, but not through the Furtado line, as
far as know.

Our common ancestors in this line are João Rebelo and Maria Travassos,
maried about 1600. Their daughter Ana Cabral, born 30 Apr 1606 in
Ribeira Frande, S. Miguel, is the 3rd grandmother of Rita de Jesus, my
4th grandmother who married my 4th grandfather José Furtado born 19
Mar 1784 in Vila Franca do Campo, S. Miguel.

Manoel