In some old family letters in Portuguese dated 1913-1938 to my great-
grandmother in Northern California (a native of Ponta da Fajã Grande
das Flores) I've found the following names, which I've listed
alphabetically below, along with year(s) of letter(s); some names have
different spellings in different letters.  All the letters except one
are from Ponta, and all but two have dates.

Please let me know if you recognize any of these names!  Also, has
anyone ever heard of a place near Fajã Grande called "Grota Seca" (=
dry cave or grotto)?

Obrigada, Katharine.

ARMAS, Fernando - 1920
FRAGA, João de Freitas de - undated
FURTADO, Isabel [Oakland, CA.] - 1921
FURTADO, Manuel Luiz - 1936, '38
LIZANDRO, José - 1921, '36
LIZANDRO, Manuel - undated
REIS, Srs. de - 1923
RODRIGUES, Antonio - 1938
SERPA, Ignácio - undated
SILVEIRA, Ana Floripes (Floripe, Fluripas) da - 1917, '20, '21, '26
SILVEIRA, Maria Mateus (Matheus) da - 1913, '15, '23, '25, '26, '38
VALADÃO (Valladão), Antonio - 1913, '26, undated
VALADÃO, João - 1921, '23, '26, undated
VALADÃO, José - 1921
VALADÃO, José Antonio - undated
VALADÃO, Senhor - 1913

Mentioned without surnames (alphabetically by first name here,
Portuguese-style):
Conceição - 1925
José Caetano - 1926
José Inácio da Levada - undated