Steve,

What do you mean by somewhat recently?  Within the last 5 years?  Within the
last 18 years?  50 years?

For the longest time, the only book in English was "A History of the Azores
Islands" by James H. Guill, published in 1991.  He is deceased and his
daughter holds the copyright and right now, does not plan on republishing.
You might try your local library or see if they can interlibrary loan it to
your library.  I think the original price was about $28 and I've seen the
book go for upwards of $400 on Ebay.  The book is 662 pages long.

Within the last few years (maybe only 1 - 2 years) another book came out.
It was in both English and Portuguese and smaller.  I don't own this book,
but I saw it.  The author joined the list, posted she wrote a book and left
the list.  I think this is her web site: http://historiadosacores.t35.com/

Achada