Hi Carol,
My father immigrated to the US in 1909. I was able to document that via the
Ellis Island web site on which I found the passenger list on which he was
listed as Joao Vitorino *Vasconcellos* (SS Vega as I recall). In 1928 he
returned to Flores to marry my mother. He was not yet a US Citizen so I
surmise that he was traveling on a Portuguese passport. What I think
happened is pure conjecture on my part. I conclude that he probably had to
contact the Portuguese Counsolate to renew his Portuguese passport. By 1928
the Portuguese language had undergone a revision whereby double letters were
eliminated. What I think probably happened is that the bureauocrat who
handled my father's application must have "corrected" the spelling of my
father's last name to the "modern spelling" of* Vasconcelos*. My father had
first cousins who immigrated to the US about the same time he did and those
families still use the *Vasconcellos* spelling.
Say hi to Richard.
John Vasconcelos