Hi Rosemarie,

I have been interested in going to the Roman Catholic Archives in Menlo
Park, too. How much info did you have to give them to get your records? I
know my great grandparents were in California in the 1880's and I believe
they had three children while there, at least one of them in Mission San
Jose. I know the exact date of birth on one of the children from a US
passport I found. It would be nice to find baptisms on him and the other
two siblings.

I'm very happy for you find,

Tish

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM, <rcap...@redshift.com> wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> Just to let you know that you have to keep searching everywhere all the
> time!
>
> Yesterday Celeste Perry and I traveled to the Roman Catholic Archives in
> Menlo Park, CA to look at marriage records. I have been searching for my
> grandmother's sister Maria Vieira da Silva for years. I have her passport,
> her ship list (arrived June 1912) and I knew that she was married and gone
> from California before my grandmom arrived sometime in 1914. I also wanted
> to find the marriaage of their sister Adriana who married Joseph Davis nee
> Teves. Adriana & Joseph's granddaughters are also tracing  Joseph's family
> but don't know much. So, Celeste and I decided that Christmas or no we
> were finally making it to the Archives this year!!
>
> I not only found Adriana's marriage to Joseph Teves, Jun 1913 but also
> Maria's!! All of my Aunties said she married a Machado (they were SURE of
> that) and his name was either Frank or Joao! The marriage record Aug of
> 1914 in St. Joseph's Portuguese Church in Oakland, says his name (in latin
> of course!) is Joammomi which I hope is Joao/John)Machado Avila! It also
> says he is from the Norte Grande Sao George which records their records in
> the same church as my Maria,  TO  Maria Vieira Silva. It gives the
> parent's names so I know it's my Maria.
>
> Marie moved "back east" right after her marriage, had 3 children and died
> of a brain tumor sometime in the 1920's. Our family has completely lost
> touch with her family. Does this story sound familier to anyone??
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I received my early
> Christmas present and to give you all hope in your searching! Many thanks
> to Celeste for all of her help (and wonderful cookies!) she just kept
> proding me to go and search.
>
> Merry Christmas to you all,
> Rosemarie

> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the