*Kate,
You and Rick set a light bulb off in the recesses of my mind!! If I
remember the story correctly, Grant was supposedly a member of the crew on
the Revenge which was sunk off the coast of Flores by the Spanish Armada in
1692. The Revenge, which had been the Flagship of the English fleet in the
defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588, was under the command of Sir Richard
Grenville, cousin of Sir Walter Raleigh. As the story goes, the Revenge
which was on patrol duty had anchored off Flores to take on provisions and
off-load sick or wounded seamen and was caught off guard by the arrival a
flotilla of Spanish ships carrying gold returning from the "new world". A
naval battle ensued which resulted in the capture and sinking of the
Revenge and the death of Grenville. This battle has been documented, not
only in the history books but in the poem "The Revenge" by Alfred Lord
Tennyson which is an account of the Battle. (Goofle it).
The battle itself has been amply documented in both prose and poetry.
However, I'm not sure of the details about the crew member Grant.
John Vasconcelos*