Mike,

"Madeiros" sounds like it should be a corruption of the surname
"Medeiros."  Madeira is a different archipelago.  It's not part of the
Azores.  Maybe someone else has another idea for that place name.

You'll need a different record.  Try for the marriage at St. John the
Baptist as we discussed before or you can try the city records as Elaine
suggested in a previous post.

An immigrant of that time period is more likely to give his freguesia to
another Portuguese entity.  What I mean by that, is he more likely to be
more general with the U.S. government (WWI Draft, censuses) than he is
where they are speaking Portuguese and have some knowledge of the Azores
(like the first Portuguese church in America - St. John the Baptist) or if
he belonged to a Portuguese Society or if his family stated it in his U.S.
obituary.

Example:  When I'm traveling, people ask where I'm from.  I say Los
Angeles.  I don't live in Los Angeles itself.  I do live in Los Angeles
County.  But if I'm out of state, I say Los Angeles because most people
know where that is.  Now, when I'm with the Portuguese band, I say I'm from
Artesia (it's part of Los Angeles county too).  I don't live there either,
but when I'm with them, just say that.

So think about the circumstances your immigrant ancestor was in.  It helps
explain some of their vague answers.

Achada