Mike,

Google Portuguese Whaling and you will some books on the subject. I have one from NB area A Window Back - Photography in a Whaling Port by Nicholas Whitman. It is one of the Spinner books. These are great books on NB area and their are several. You can usually find them used on addall.com and sometimes on Ebay. I have company right now and when I can get to some research, I will try and help you. It's going to be pretty difficult to try and find his death date with just a year as most online records only go to 1910 and I think they are trying to get to 1915 eventually. I am not sure what is on familysearch.org You might contact the NB Library on this if you haven't already and usually if they are not too busy, they will try to help, but please be sure to send them a donation for their help as they surely need it and are very cooperative in our efforts to research our families.

"E"