In helping others research, I found one who came to the US in the late 1860's and it gave the reason they were coming here. Also, I have court documents of another case where they left Faial illegally (a ship from Faial chased their ship and didn't catch them - probably paid off) and entered the US illegally (under dark of night) with 41 passengers who were sent ashore on smaller vessels and took carts, trains, etc. to their destinations. There is no manifest of the passengers. So if your ancestor was on this ship, there is no way you would ever find him/her listed on a manifest. The only way they got caught in the US is one of the male passengers went into a bar shortly after landing and bragged about it and they charged the captain who ended up paying a $2000 fine.

"E"