I just found their wedding announcement on there too, now just have to figure
out how to save it.  My father did say his grandfather was not buried in the
same cemetery as his grandmother because he was a mason.  The things people
suddenly remember! Thanks again.Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:02:26 -0400
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] New to the group
From: nvcouto...@gmail.com
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Elisabeth,

I found Maria Camara Costa's obituary in "Diario de Noticias" and am attaching
it.  Look in the second column from the left at the bottom of the page.  The
obituary should be useful, because it provides the freguesias of your
grandparents and of Maria's parents.  I hope you can read Portuguese, but if
not, don't worry.  This is in standard obituary format.  It does mention your
grandfather's occupation as a well-known shoemaker (sapateiro).  I didn't see
any reference to her being a professor in Boston, but her two sisters lived in
Boston.  Also, I couldn't find an obituary for your grandfather, but I didn't
try all the name combinations that it may have been listed under.

This newspaper archive is a treasure trove of information.  The website is:

https://news.arcasearch.com/usmaums/

Hope this helps.

Nancy
..

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Elisabeth Costa <elizco...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone, I am new to the group.  I am searching for information on Antonio
Gomes da Costa, born November 2nd, sometime between 1872 and 1874 (the dates
are different on everything Ive found), in Sao Miguel.  He went to New Bedford,
Massachusetts in February 1890 according to a later passport application, but I
thought I found him in March 1893 on the ship "Olinda".  He eventually worked
as a show repairer, and owned his own shop.  His parents names were Domigos
Gomes da Costa and Maria de Conceicao. He died in 1951 in New Bedford. His wife
was named Maria Jose Camara and was born August 1877 (or thereabouts) in I
believe Sao Miguel.  Her parents were Jose Ignacio Camara and Maria Gloria
Arruda.  There is a family story that she was some kind of professor in Boston,
but I don't have anythting to back that up.  She came to New Bedford before her
husband, I believe they may have married in the U.S. She dies on February 9,
1945 in New Bedford.  They had three children, Alfred, Edmund and Edmar
(Ideomar) who was my grandfather.  They eventually used Gomes as a middle name
and just went by Costa.

Is anyone searching for this family?  Any advice on where to search for records
in Sao Miguel would be appreciated.  I have other bits and pieces, just need to
put it all together.

Thanks!

Elisabeth Costa Saliani