Hi

This is all very exciting. I too  have Pereira family from Sao Jorge
-Urzelina. My GGrandfather was Joaquim Machado Pereira (b 1850) - I have a
great photo of him as a youngish man. His father was Christiano Machado
Pereira (born in Rosais 1826 - died Urzelina 1881). Christiano's wives were
two sisters from Urzelina - Vitorina Rosa and Perpetua Rosa. Their mother
was Vitorina de Jesus and her husband from Urzelina: Manuel de Sousa
Machado.  Christiano's parents were Felix Jose da Silveira and Maria
Joaquina de Jesus from Rosais. Two or three previous generations were from
Rosais.

I also note that that my 5x GGrandfather's name appears to be Matheus
Pereira de Almeida and he came from Rosais and was married in 1777.

In regard to the change of name mentioned by Ginger, name changes are
sometimes dramatic. Joaquim Machado Pereira changed his name to Anthony
Mitchell when he came to Australia in 1870. We only ever found his original
name because his step-mother had written him letters in 1881 (or had them
written) from Urzelina and I still have them. On his marriage certificate
in 1884 (Sydney) he names his parents as Christian Mitchell and Victoria
Rosa - so at least they were on the right track. Just goes to show how
tricky this business of genealogy can be. The Azorean branch of my family
tree is known as the Mitchells by all the cousins etc...

Does anybody have any of these folk on their tree?

Diane